|Hobson's Bay, Waitangi [Febraury 6, 2010]|
The 36-metre waka [canoe]
Ngatokimatawhaorua takes to the water of the Bay of Islands with a crew of
80 kaihoe [paddlers]. The great waka - the biggest in use in New Zealand -
was built from three kauri trees to mark the 100th anniversary of the
Treaty of Waitangi in 1940. On Waitangi Day 2010 it celebrated a
restoration and its 70th birthday. In the distance is a newer waka, the
overnight cruising catamaran Ipipiri.